
Pippa Middleton, the 42-year-old sister of the Princess of Wales, has been told to remove a car park she constructed without planning permission on her £15 million Berkshire estate.The facility was built last year on the grounds of Barton Court, which Middleton and her husband James Matthews purchased in 2022. The couple, who are raising their three children, Arthur, seven, Grace, five, and Rose, four, at the property, subsequently filed a retrospective planning application.West Berkshire Council turned down the application, ruling that the development was incompatible with the “beauty, landscape, character, or rural setting” of the surrounding area, situated within the Wessex Downs National Landscape.Pippa Middleton, the 42-year-old sister of the Princess of Wales, has been told to remove a car park she constructed without planning permission on her £15 million Berkshire estate. | PAAn appeal against the council’s decision was dismissed in July.Council planners described the development as a “visually intrusive and urbanised feature,” noting that its scale and engineered appearance had disrupted what was previously an open meadow setting.The estate sits within the Wessex Downs, one of the UK’s designated National Landscapes, and officials also raised concerns about potential harm to the nearby River Kennet chalk stream.In their assessment, planners stated: “Due to its size and engineered appearance, the development has introduced a visually intrusive and urbanised feature into an otherwise open meadow.”Pippa’s application had argued the car park would serve only a limited purpose, operating “seasonally” and restricted to Monday through Thursday use. This did not persuade the council, whose rejection was subsequently upheld on appeal. | PAPippa’s application had argued the car park would serve only a limited purpose, operating “seasonally” and restricted to Monday through Thursday use. This did not persuade the council, whose rejection was subsequently upheld on appeal.The car park row is not the only friction between the couple and their neighbours. A separate dispute has arisen over Mill Lane, a route running through the estate that the late Sir Terence Conran, the property’s previous owner, reportedly permitted locals to walk along.The Matthews have maintained that no public footpath has ever existed on the land. | PAThe Matthews have maintained that no public footpath has ever existed on the land. A spokesperson told The Telegraph that the area has always been private property for as long as records show.Upon moving into Barton Court in 2022, the couple erected “private” and “no trespassing” signs around the estate’s boundaries.Despite this, 35 local residents, supported by The Ramblers Association, lodged an application with the council seeking to have Mill Lane recognised as a public right of way. An inquiry into the matter opened in May.