
Oleksandr Usyk revealed he received a heartbreaking message from his daughter sheltering in Ukraine moments before his dramatic victory over Rico Verhoeven in Egypt.The undefeated heavyweight champion defended his WBC title in extraordinary circumstances on Saturday night after stopping Verhoeven in the 11th round near the Pyramids.But while the boxing world focused on the controversial ending to the fight, Usyk admitted his thoughts were also with his family back home as Russia launched fresh attacks on Kyiv.Speaking after the bout, the 39-year-old disclosed that his daughter had messaged him from a bomb shelter shortly before he entered the ring.”‘Papa, I love you, you win. I’m afraid,'” Usyk revealed the text said.The emotional admission came after another devastating night in Ukraine, where authorities confirmed at least four people had been killed following major Russian strikes on the capital.Usyk had been involved in one of the toughest fights of his career against kickboxing legend Verhoeven.Oleksandr Usyk revealed he received a heartbreaking message from his daughter sheltering in Ukraine moments before his dramatic victory over Rico Verhoeven in Egypt | GETTYMany expected the Ukrainian to comfortably overcome the Dutchman, who entered the contest with only one previous professional boxing appearance.Instead, Verhoeven pushed Usyk to the brink in a stunning performance that shocked many inside the arena.The 37-year-old repeatedly troubled the champion with his pressure, awkward movement and heavy shots, even managing to visibly hurt Usyk at stages of the contest.Five facts about boxing that fans might not know | GBNEWS/PAAt the time of the stoppage, the fight was hanging in the balance.Two judges had the contest level at 95-95, while a third scored it 96-94 in Verhoeven’s favour heading into the final round.Usyk ultimately turned the tide late in the 11th when he dropped Verhoeven with a powerful left hand before referee Mark Lycett stepped in to halt the fight moments later.The ending sparked fierce debate across the boxing world, with many believing the stoppage came too early – particularly as the bell appeared to sound shortly before the referee intervened.Verhoeven later lodged an official protest and insisted he should have been given the chance to continue.Rico Verhoeven lasted 11 rounds before losing to Oleksandr Usyk | GETTYDespite the controversy, Usyk showed the resilience that has defined his remarkable career to remain unbeaten.The Ukrainian had looked in genuine danger of suffering one of the most shocking defeats in heavyweight boxing history before producing the decisive late burst.Speaking afterwards, Usyk admitted the fight had pushed him hard physically and emotionally.”This fight was hard,” he said. “It was a good fight.”