Earl Charles Spencer ‘did not know’ Sussexes’ UK return was imminent




Earl Charles Spencer was unaware of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s immediate plans to relocate to Britain, sources have claimed. It is believed he first became aware of his nephew’s intentions last Thursday morning, when the news appeared in the press.A source close to the earl told the Mail: “It was known that he wanted to come back but it was not known that it was imminent.”While the earl and Prince Harry have maintained a close bond since the duke stepped back from senior royal duties in 2020, the timing of the move evidently remained a closely guarded matter.Earl Charles Spencer was unaware of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s immediate plans to relocate to Britain, sources have claimed | GETTYFamily photographs shared by the Duchess of Sussex on Instagram during a recent visit to Althorp showed the couple’s children walking through the grounds with bouquets carried to Princess Diana’s grave.This initially sparked speculation that the family might settle on the Northamptonshire estate.However, a source close to Earl Spencer dismissed this.Charles would have been willing to help find the couple somewhere suitable on the estate, it has been claimed, but no such request was made.Earl Spencer and his ex-wife attending Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding | GETTY”He has made his own plans,” the source said of Prince Harry.Wherever the Sussexes ultimately settle, their precise location will be kept confidential for security purposes.The family’s visit to Althorp last month was described as “blissful,” with photographs showing Prince Harry playfully tossing his daughter Lilibet in a swimming pool while Meghan swam nearby.The offer to house the Sussexes at Althorp would not have been without precedent in the Spencer family.Prince Harry and Meghan Markle met in 2016, moved to the US in 2020, and are now relocating to the UK | GETTYEarl Spencer previously made a similar gesture to Princess Diana following the collapse of her marriage to the then Prince Charles, proposing she use the 16th-century Wormleighton Manor in Warwickshire. Diana turned down that offer.Prince Harry has visited Althorp, where his mother is buried, on multiple occasions in recent years, maintaining a relationship with his uncle that has endured since he and Meghan departed from frontline royal life six years ago.GB News has contacted Earl Spencer’s spokeswoman for comment.