
British motorbike racer Sam Naughton has died following a horror crash at the Manx Grand Prix qualifiers on Wednesday afternoon. The 37-year-old was killed on the western section of the Isle of Man course at Doran’s Bend. Mr Naughton was taking part in the event for only the second time, following his debut at the course last year.He is the second racer to be killed during this year’s Manx Grand Prix qualifiers following the death of Swiss rider Mauro Poncini on Tuesday. The 29-year-old died following an accident at Cruickshanks during the opening lap of the qualifying session. In a statement, Manx Grand Prix Races said it was “deeply saddened” to announce the death of Mr Naughton. The organisers said: “The incident occurred at Doran’s Bend, during the third qualifying session of the event. “Having made his debut in 2025, Sam was in his second year of competing at the Manx Grand Prix, and was a regular competitor at a number of other road racing events since he began racing in 2020.“The Manx Grand Prix Races pass on their deepest sympathy to his wife Charlotte, his children Bonnie, Liam, Jesse and Parker, his family, and friends.”Qualifying sessions for the event are expected to resume tomorrow afternoon. The Manx Grand Prix – which runs in parallel with the Classic TT races – is scheduled to begin on Sunday and conclude on August 28.The motorcycling event has been held on the Isle of Man for over 100 years, with the first races taking place in 1923. More to follow…