Harry and Meghan ‘should have to explain attacks on Royal Family’ amid return to the UK




Prince Harry and Meghan Markle “should have to explain the attacks on the Royal Family,” a royal commentator has insisted.The Sussexes are returning to the UK for an “extended period of time” at the end of this month, ending a six-year-long hiatus after they quit royal duties and moved to Montecito, California.After failing to agree a “half-in/half-out” royal role with Queen Elizabeth II, the couple took off to Hollywood – where they made a series of damaging claims against the British monarchy.Whether that be Meghan’s claims she had been “silenced” by the Royal Family in an interview with Oprah Winfrey, or Harry insisting the monarchy had a “huge level of unconscious bias” in a tell-all documentary – Buckingham Palace was often left reeling from the Sussexes’ public accusations.Speaking to GB News, royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams demanded answers from Harry and Meghan on their conduct since moving to the States.”The way they’ve handled this; they are trying to get away with attacks on the Royal Family that are uniquely damaging without explaining,” he said.”I think that they should have to explain the attacks.”The expert noted that these claims are particularly damaging because the couple “have an enormous profile,” adding: “Everyone knows who they are.”Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘should have to explain the attacks on the Royal Family,’ an expert has insisted | PAWednesday’s shock revelation follows the Sussexes’ meeting with King and Queen at his Highgrove estate in Gloucestershire last month – though the monarch himself was not made aware of Harry and Meghan’s plans to return until Sunday.Mr Fitzwilliams believes the plans must have been in place for “a long time,” given that the children have already been enrolled at an English school.While the details of the Highgrove meeting have been kept under wraps, Harry was at the time embroiled in another security debacle.After announcing he would be joined on his five-day trip in July by his wife and two children, he quickly reconsidered the decision after his application for a security package was denied by the Home Office and the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec).King Charles is said to be keen on the opportunity to see his grandchildren more often | PAMeghan, Archie and Lilibet did join the duke for one day, where they saw the King and visited Princess Diana’s grave on the Althorp estate, though they did not join him for any previous engagements, as had been planned.While no royal has publicly come out and spoken on the matter, Prime Minister Andy Burnham was probed this morning, given reports Prince Harry has lobbied Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood to give him armed protection amid fears for his life in Britain.He stated: “This is a private matter; it’s a matter for Harry and Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they’re making.”It is understood that Ms Mahmood will not take part in any individual decision on the set-up.Prime Minister Andy Burnham was probed this morning, given reports Prince Harry has lobbied Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood to give him armed protection amid fears for his life in Britain | GB NEWSA Home Office spokesman said: “The UK Government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate.”It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security.”With the security problems far from having reached a conclusion, Mr Fitzwilliams remained unsure on the future for the Sussexes in the UK.”Supposedly they’ll be non-working royals and have charitable engagements and so on, but the whole situation will be completely unique,” he explained.”The only safe answer is that I don’t know – nobody knows exactly.”